Five signs you may have skin allergies
The team at the Dermatology Treatment and Research Center find many Dallas, TX area patients visit them due to a new rash or itch that seems to come about unexplained. For many, this may be a skin allergy, and knowing the symptoms is the first step in finding out what is going on—and finding relief!
Signs of skin allergies
Below are some of the more common symptoms that may indicate a possible skin allergy:
- Redness – one of the first signs a patient might experience when dealing with a skin allergy is redness and blistering of the skin. The severity of the redness is often determined by the severity of the allergic reaction and how much of the substance touched the patient’s skin.
- Itching – certain plants, such as poison ivy, can often leave behind oils on the skin that can cause an allergic skin reaction. This includes itching, which may also be seen when patients have a reaction to a bug bite such as a mosquito bite or a bee sting.
- Hives – hives are caused by small blood vessels that leak and swell into the skin. Hives may be acute or chronic, and is often a result of an allergic reaction to a chemical, an insect bite, or other contact.
- Swelling – also known as angioedema, swelling in the deep layers of the skin can occur in any soft tissues, including the eyes, mouth, and even the genitals. This is more often seen as an allergic reaction to a food or medication.
- Eczema – eczema is a common skin condition that can also flare up with contact with allergens. Some patients who have more chronic eczema may find that contact with these allergens can make the condition worse, and it may not resolve with routine eczema medications if this is the case.
Find out more about skin allergies
If you suspect a skin allergy and are displaying any symptoms that may be related, it might be time to book an appointment with a Dallas, TX area dermatologist for an evaluation. Drs. William Abramovits, Stephanie Saxton-Daniels, and Clay Cockerell of the Dermatology and Treatment Research Center will work with you to help you get a proper diagnosis and discuss the best treatment for your unique needs. Call (972) 661-2729 to request a visit